Gelman, the resident school bully, begins to pick on Gus because the student who he previously bullied, Stemple, moves away, and, unaware that Gelman was around, Gus exited the bathroom. After turning his attention to Gus, Gelman routinely tosses Gus into a garbage bin, despite the gang's best attempts to thwart Gelman and despite Miss Finster threatening to bring him to Principal Prickly's office faster than he can say "detention" if he touches Gus or any other kid (he immediately ignores her).
After receiving some conflicting advice from Mikey and Spinelli, both of whom disagree with each other on what to do, Gus asks his dad what a "little country," namely Gus, should do about being picked on by a "big country", namely Gelman, and Gus' dad tells him the story of Belgium and Germany during WWI. This inspires Gus to stand up to Gelman, for which he gets a serious beating. However, at the end of the battle Gus' friends and many of the kids at Third Street step in to help Gus win the war, quite typical of the story of WWI.
- Fall 1997 (according to Miracle on Third Street)
- Animation Error: When the gang walk out of school before Gus and Gelman's big fight, Gretchen's dress is green.
- Continuity Error: Although Stemple moves away, he sometimes appears in the background of certain episosdes.
- When Vince suggests standing up to Gelman, Gus appears with the gang outside the trash can, and then can be seen inside in the next shot.
- When Stemple is gathering his things, preparing to leave, before Gelman finds him, he is seen in Miss Grotke's class. However, he has never been shown to be one of her students.
- Coloring Error: When T.J. tells Gelman to stop fighting Gus, T.J.'s freckles are missing.
- Gus' dad's lesson on WWI was full of innacuracies. Mainly when he stated the German Empire invaded Poland when Poland was a part of Prussia under the German Empire at the time.
- This is episode marks the first appearances of Gelman and Mrs. Griswald.
- This episode premiered on Erik Von Detten's (the voice of Lawson) sixteenth birthday.
- This is one of the three episodes mentioned, but not featured, in the 2001 movie, Recess Christmas: Miracle on Third Street.
- T.J. Detweiler - Andrew Lawrence
- Vince LaSalle - Rickey D'Shon Collins
- Ashley Spinelli/Kid #4 - Pamela Segall-Adlon
- Gretchen Grundler - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg - Jason Davis
- Gus Griswald - Courtland Mead
- Miss Finster/Gus' Mom - April Winchell
- Gelman/Kid #2 - Justin Shenkarow
- Dave - Ryan O'Donohue
- Stemple - Justin Jon Ross
- Kid #3 - Klee Bragger
- Gus' Dad - Sam McMurray
- Kid #1 - Francesca Smith