Robert "King Bob" is the uni-browed king of the Third Street School playground. He has a very demanding and impatient personality, yet he is an honest and fair ruler. His best friends are Jordan and Jerome, his advisers. He is also friends with T.J. Detweiler and invited him to a roast in "Prince Randall". Even though he is at least two years older than T.J. and the gang, he has been seen in the fourth graders' class before.
King Bob has a demanding, overbearing, impatient, but at times, an honorable personality. He also has knowledge of many of the rules of the playground as well as the unwritten student code of honor. On the few times he is pranked, he obsesses over pranking back the perpetrator, going so far as to abandon his duties for some time.
In "Pharaoh Bob", it showed a little about Bob's introspective side. Realizing that the children of the playground had already forgotten their previous kings, Bob began to obsess over his legacy. His attempts to write his memoirs lend further weight to this.
In Recess: School's Out, it is revealed that he has graduated from sixth grade and will be leaving Third Street School to attend Middle School, naming Freddy as his successor. Later on, in the movie, he comes back to Third Street School to fight Dr. Benedict and his men. His throne (a brown armchair) occasionally is carried around by four of his guards around the playground.
In Recess: Taking the Fifth Grade, he returns to Third Street to check what is going on in the fifth and sixth graders' club, and scolds Freddy for it has become a hotbed of intolerance towards little kids.
He is typically depicted in a white and blue number 8 jersey, white and red wristbands, a blue lined red cape, blue jeans, and a hockey stick in his hand. He has black hair and a rather neat unibrow that he is never seen without, even after his haircut in "Bad Hair Day". His most notable piece of clothing is his yellow crown-shaped hockey or football helmet with a brown B on its front.
- King Bob held the title of "Prankster Prince" before he became king.
- As revealed in the "Fifth and Sixth Graders' Club" segment of Recess: Taking the Fifth Grade, King Bob has authority over all his successors, even though he already graduated.
- King Bob was initially going to be a slight antagonist to the series. However, this was dropped because he warmed up to T.J.
- In the first season of the show, King Bob had an olive skin tone to him. From season two onwards, he is Caucasian.
- He has a unibrow like Conrad Mundy.
- King Bob respects T.J. and treats him like a friend ever since he tried to get revenge on T.J. by pulling various pranks on him.
- King Bob has had a tonsillectomy.
- King Bob's mom calls him "Bobby".
- He can be strict at times, for instance, he can send someone to the dodgeball wall for not following the rules. For example, in "Speedy, We Hardly Knew Ye", when he almost sent The Recess Gang to the dodgeball wall for digging in sixth-grade territory.
- He used to talk to Speedy when he was in fourth grade.
- Initially, Paul Germain, one of the creators of Recess, made King Bob inspired by a children's version of Glen Lantz from one of his favorite movies, A Nightmare on Elm Street.
Characters: T.J. Detweiler | Vince LaSalle | Ashley Spinelli | Mikey Blumberg | Gretchen Grundler | Gus Griswald | Captain Bradley | Cornchip Girl | The Diggers | Hustler Kid | Erwin Lawson | Miss Grotke | Muriel Finster | Becky Detweiler | Dr. Phillium Benedict | Menlo | Brock | Peter Prickly | Bald Guy | Butch | Ashley Armbruster | Ashley Boulet | Ashley Quinlan | Ashley Tomassian | Fenwick | Brandon the Singer | Gelman | King Bob | Chucko | Jocko | Randall Weems | King Freddy II | Chewy | Spencer | Swinger Girl | Upside-Down Girl | Gordy | Hector | Miss Lemon | Lunchlady Irma | Tubby | Jordan & Jerome | Flo Spinelli | Bob Spinelli | Guru Kid
|3rd Street School Kings|
|Known Kings||King Mortimer (1935-36) - King Franklin (1980's; unknown) - King Al (1991-92) - King Wally (1992-93) - King Chuck (1993-94) - King Sid (1996-97) - King Bob (1997-98) - King Gus (1997-98)(Temporary) - King Freddy II (1998-99)|
|Implied Kings||King Freddy I|