Speedy, the class hamster, passes away, much to the depression of the students except Spinelli. They decide to throw a funeral for him out of honor.
The funeral is continually interrupted as previous students of Third Street School come to Speedy's funeral. Spinelli even ends up getting emotional over the hamster's death. As the funeral proceeds more and more students, past and present, show up for the ceremony, some going as far back as forty years. Each new narrative that is told of Speedy's storied life is different and contains myriad variations of Speedy's appearance. Miss Grotke eventually confesses that there are numerous hamsters that are called Speedy, and every time one has died it is replaced before the children can notice. Despite learning of this deception the students of Third Street, past and present, still decide to throw the funeral and each of them reminisce of a Speedy from their generation.
- Fall 1997 (according to Recess Christmas: Miracle on Third Street)
- This episode features the only death in the series.
- The class doesn't seem to own a Speedy for the rest of the series. However, in Recess: School's Out, Gus mentions the class having a pet gerbil.
- T.J. mentions a teacher named Mr. Germain, which is a refrence to the show's co-creator, Paul Germain.
- King Bob declares the grave of Speedy, "The Tomb of the Unknown Speedy". This is a reference to "The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier", which is located at Arlington Cemetery in Virginia.
- Sam is voiced by Ryan O`Donohue in this episode instead of Klee Bragger.
- This is the first episode where Ashley T. is voiced by Ashley Johnson.
- T.J., Vince, and Gretchen are shown crying for the first time in this episode.
- Mayor Fitzhugh makes his first appearance in this episode.
- Since it is mentioned that he attended fourth grade in the year 1956, Mayor Fitzhugh is about fifty years old as of 1997.
- The episode's title is a reference to the Irish anti-war song, "Johnny, We Hardly Knew Ye".
- This episode was mentioned in the movie, Recess Christmas: Miracle on Third Street, even though it didn't air as a part of the movie.
- Clips of this episode were included in a 2001 Disney's One Saturday Morning promo.
- This is the fifth appearance of King Bob.
- According to Miss Grotke, every fourth-grade class from the foundation of Third Street School onward has had a hamster named Speedy. However, she might be mistaken, since Third Street School was built in the 1920's, and hamsters weren't successfully domesticated until 1939.
- T.J. Detweiler/Kid #3 - Ross Malinger
- Vince LaSalle - Rickey D'Shon Collins
- Ashley Spinelli - Pamela Segall-Adlon
- Gretchen Grundler/Ashley Tomassian/Kid #1 - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg - Jason Davis
- Gus Griswald - Courtland Mead
- Miss Grotke - Allyce Beasley
- Sam/Dave/Kid #2 - Ryan O'Donohue
- King Bob - Toran Caudell
- Ashley Armbruster - Anndi McAfee
- Ashley Boulet - Francesca Smith
- Ashley Quinlan - Rachel Crane
- Vic Vermicelli/High School Student - Erik von Detten
- Bertha - Tress MacNeille
- Mayor Fitzhugh - Ronnie Schell