Miss Finster injures her leg and cannot keep up with the kids during recess.
The episode starts with Miss Finster confiscating Mikey's chocolate bar, telling him that candy at recess is "strictly prohibited". Despite further hesitation from T.J. and the others, she continues to take candy from students, including the Diggers and Skeens. T.J. spots this, and has a brilliant idea. He tells his friends that the target is to retrieve all the candy that Finster has confiscated calling it "Operation Contraband Candy". Just then, the "Ubiquitous" Finster grabs the blueprints and walks away when her sack of candy bursts and she falls over, hurting her leg. Finster is taken away in an ambulance, expected to be out for two weeks, and the other students cheer. The next day, everyone goes outside for what they believe is their first non-Finster recess - until Finster happens to arrive on crutches, surprising the gang. However, going around the playground with a broken leg proves to be difficult for her. Chaos breaks out in the playground. T.J. realizes that it was the perfect time to re-institute "Operation Contraband Candy". They succeed but start to feel guilty when they see that they were taking advantage of the "poor" Finster. They then call a gathering of the crowd and then convince the crowd that she should not be taken advantage of. After that, they start acting like disciplined children. It turns out Finster didn't break her leg, and she could come the following afternoon to have her cast taken off, but she refuses, making an excuse that she would be busy all week.
- Animation error: After Miss Finster is loaded into the ambulance, its taillights are flashing. When the ambulance starts moving, one of the red flashes appears too far from the taillight.
- Animation error: While the ambulance that is carrying Miss Finster is moving away, its doors suddenly become much smaller in proportion to the rest of the vehicle.
- Animation error: After T.J. claims that the candy is not satisfying and after the gang looks out the window, despite T.J. being farther than Mikey, T.J. is drawn in front of Mikey's for a few frames. In this scene T.J. is even shown stepping on Mikey's foot.
- Naming error: On Disney+, the title is known as "The Fuss over Finster", with the letter "O" not capitalized.
- Stinky Peterson is seen in this episode.
- This is the second time where the characters from Recess are singing an African-American spiritual; the first being "The Great Jungle Gym Standoff".
- This is the second episode where there is utter chaos in the playground, the first being "The Madness of King Bob" (an earlier episode in the fourth season). Both are being caused by the absence of an authoritarian figure.
- Amidst the chaos four kids on bikes can be seen causing trouble. Their costumes are an allusion to Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.
- This episode also includes T.J. saying "what'cha talkin' 'bout," a pop-culture reference he says to several characters throughout the show. This is an allusion to Diff'rent Strokes' Arnold Jackson's (portrayed by Gary Coleman) catchphrase, "What'cha talkin' 'bout, Willis?".
- This episode is "Lost" from the Latin American dub.
- This episode was cut from the Italian dub.
- T.J. Detweiler - Andrew Lawrence
- Vince LaSalle - Rickey D'Shon Collins
- Ashley Spinelli - Pamela Segall-Adlon
- Gretchen Grundler - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg - Jason Davis
- Gus Griswald - Courtland Mead
- Miss Finster - April Winchell
- Randall Weems/Dave - Ryan O'Donohue
- Sam - Klee Bragger
- Captain Sticky - E.G. Daily
- King Bob - Toran Caudell
- Ashley Armbruster - Anndi McAfee
- Ashley Boulet - Francesca Smith
- Ashley Quinlan - Rachel Crane
- Greg Skeens - Danny Cooksey
- Erwin Lawson - Erik von Detten
- Kid #1 - Alexander Polinsky
- Man - Gregg Berger