T.J. and the gang scheme to have recess come early. They succeed, but then they are greeted by a soldier who drops off his son, Gustav Patton "Gus" Griswald, a new student telling the other's his name and that he's been to 12 schools in the past 6 years. Meanwhile T.J. and the others show him around, but then King Bob shows up and finds out he's the new kid, as per the code of the playground the last kid to transfer in becomes 'The New Kid', and shall forever be known only as the new kid and nothing else. The Last New Kid was Morris P. Hingle.
Gus is then ostracized in his status, even by Miss Grotke and his own parents. T.J. and the gang then take pity on him, and help him get his name back, until King Bob shows up again. Gus has had enough, stands up to King Bob and demands his name back, to which Bob does so. Gus, now a part of The Recess Gang, celebrates, while Morris, the former new kid, complains that he had to go though the new kid status for 3 years before Gus transferred in. To which King Bob responds, indifferently, "Hey, you should've said something."
- Mikey: "There are lots of people without names."
- Gus: "Like who?"
- Mikey: "Like the Artist Formerly Known as Prince, the Unknown Soldier, and the other four guys in the Jackson Five."
- Animation error: When Miss Grotke calls on Willy during attendance, his hat is missing.
- Grammar error: Gus' last name is spelled "Griswold" in this episode instead of "Griswald".
- Coloring error: During the attendance scene, the back of Ashley Q. can be seen, but she has dark brown hair and wears white. This could've been a prototype of her before she was finalized.
- Animation error: When Vince told T.J. that any guy named Gustav is "bound to be trouble," T.J.'s highlights is missing.
- Continuity error: In this episode, Lieutenant Griswald was shown to be in the U.S. Marine Corps. However, in later episodes, he was shown to be in the military.
- This episode was adapted for the Disney Chapters book collection in 1998.
- This episode was included as a bonus on the Recess: Taking the Fifth Grade DVD and the VHS and DVD of the Finnish copy of Atlantis: The Lost Empire.
- On ABC's official Recess website on the One Saturday Morning site, video clips of when Gus was crying tears of joy about finally having friends and later when the student body does everything they can to make Gus feel welcome at his new school were put on Gus' character page. The clips would later be put on the Toon Disney website.
- When this episode was originally recorded, Ryan O'Donohue was the voice of Gus. After Courtland Mead was cast as Gus, the episode was re-recorded.
- When this episode aired as a sneak peek on August 31st, 1997, this episode was shown before "The Break In".
- Various allusions to musicians and their music, including (the artist formally known as) Prince, (the other four of the) Jackson 5, Kansas ("Dust in the Wind"), and Paul Simon ("50 ways to leave your lover").
- Ashley T. and Hustler Kid make their first appearances. However, they do not talk until "Jinxed" and "First Name Ashley".
- Gus and Miss Grotke makes his first appearance in this episode.
- Gordy makes his first appearance in the series, albeit he is unnamed.
- This is King Bob's second appearance.
Foreign Dub Titles
Note - Some dubs keep the episode title in English.
- French: Le Nouveau ("New")
- German: Der Neue ("The New")
- Japanese: "新入りはつらいよ" ("Tough Being the Newcomer")
- Spanish: "El Niño Nuevo" ("The New Boy") (Spain)
- Latin Spanish: "El Chico Nuevo" ("The New Kid) (Latin America)
- T.J. Detweiler - Ross Malinger
- Vince LaSalle - Rickey D'Shon Collins
- Ashley Spinelli/Morris P. Hingle/Megan - Pamela Segall-Adlon
- Gretchen Grundler - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg - Jason Davis
- Gus Griswald (Initial recording)/Kid #2/Kid #6/Kid #9 - Ryan O'Donohue
- Gus Griswald (Final recording) - Courtland Mead
- King Bob - Toran Caudell
- Miss Grotke - Allyce Beasley
- Lt. Griswald - Sam McMurray
- Bertha - Tress MacNeille
- Willy/Kid #1/Kid #3/Kid #8 - Michael Shulman
- Gordy/Kid #5 - Malachi Pearson
- Sixth Grader #1 - Erik von Detten
- Kid #4/Kid #7 - Francesca Smith
|The Recess Wiki has a collection of images about The New Kid|