When Principal Prickly discovers that Mikey can sing exactly like the real Robert Goulet (who portrays Mikey's singing voice) he hires a beautiful, young music teacher named, Miss Salamone, to nurture his talent and to help him prepare for the school concert. However, Mikey becomes attracted to her and is devastated when he discovers that she is engaged.
When Brandon swallows a bee whilst singing The National Anthem, Prickly tries to find a kid who can sing as well as Brandon. He overhears Mikey singing in the boy's bathroom and is instantly impressed by his talent. However, Mikey tries to object as he only sounds good in the bathroom. Mikey is devastated at having to take singing lessons but when he sees his music teacher, Miss Salamone, for the first time, he becomes instantly attracted to her and takes the lessons, nonetheless.
He sounds horrible in the music room, so they move to the boy's restroom where Mikey hits the right notes. They continue their singing lesson in the bathroom, which has now been transformed to a private music room. Mikey then improves so that he does not need to sing in the bathroom and becomes popular at school. he eventually tells his friends that he is in love with Miss Salamone. His friends note that it would not work, especially with the big age difference--Mikey is only nine-years-old while Miss Salamone is practically old enough to be his mother. Mikey refuses to listen and goes to try and prove his friends wrong, but ends up walking in on Miss Salamone accepting a marriage proposal from her boyfriend, a Costa Rican opera singer named Antonio. When Antonio offers a handshake to Mikey, Mikey runs away in tears.
On the day of the PTA Spring Fling, Mikey's nowhere to be found. Miss Salamone finds him in the boy's bathroom, frightening another boy in the process, and Mikey cannot keep his jealousy bottled up any longer, making Miss Salamone realize that Mikey has a crush on her. Miss Salamone tells Mikey that he is a great kid and admits that he is her favorite student, but a romantic relationship between them just will not work. Miss Salamone assures Mikey that he will eventually meet a girl his own age and that she will be the luckiest girl in the world, and is ultimately able to convince Mikey to sing, and he finally shows up and sings the song he sang in the bathroom instead of the national anthem, which everyone loves and gives Mikey a standing ovation. After the performance, Miss Salamone leaves the auditorium and tells Mikey that she will see him in middle school.
- Before "Bonky Fever" (This episode reveals that he is only nine-years-old, which was mentioned by Vince)
- Consistency/dialogue error: According to T.J., the gang were outside at the beginning for Van Buren's birthday. Later in the episode, it is mentioned that Mikey has to sing for the Spring Fling. This is incorrect; Martin Van Buren's birthday is December 5th, which is not during the spring. (Of course, it could be some other person with the last name "Van Buren"). This may be because birthdays are supposed to be fake.
- Animation/continuity error: When a close-up of Mikey's head is shown, in which he shockingly listens to Principal Prickly and Miss Finster's discussion, his eyebrows are thicker than usual. This also happens at some point during the last boy's bathroom scene when Mikey and Miss Salamone had a conversation about their relationship.
- Animation/continuity error: During the conversation on the staircase scene, all members of the Recess Gang were there, but when Miss Salamone says "Nice to meet you, Mikey" and introduces herself, all other members of the gang (except for Spinelli) are missing.
- Animation/continuity error: Before Upside-Down Girl falls, her nose is missing.
- Animation/continuity error: When Spinelli is shown sipping her soda for the second time, her lips are missing.
- Animation/continuity error: When Gretchen talks to Mikey about loving Miss Salamone, the background has a red, vintage house rear the fence, but when Mikey told the gang that they just do not get it, the house is blue and different.
- Animation/continuity error: When perspective changes while Gretchen was telling Mikey about loving Miss Salamone, the trees rear the fence are missing in the background, which were supposed to be drawn (as shown in the previous scene).
- A clip of this episode was shown as a flashback in "Yes, Mikey, Santa Does Shave".
- It was also shown in the behind-the-scenes feature on the DVD of Recess: School's Out.
- The episode was named before the music award show, The Voice.
- At the beginning of the episode, Mikey mentions to the gang that he could think about singing almost as bad as Spinelli. However, in episodes and movies where Spinelli sings, her singing does not sound bad at all and can sing decently, meaning that it is probably a dialogue/continuity/consistency error. It is later revealed in Recess: Taking the Fifth Grade that Spinelll does not like to sing very much because she answered to Miss Finster's question that she thanks for the suggestion, but she does not want to sing for the Halloween tradition.
- Mikey's singing with his speaking voice was heard in the Recess Gag Reel.
- Brandon the Singing Kid makes his first appearance.
- This episode portrays Mikey as one of only three of the main six characters (the others being Spinelli and T.J.) to develop a crush on someone.
- This was the first time Mikey's singing voice was heard.
- This episode marks Miss Salamone's first appearance; she later makes a cameo in "Lawson and His Crew" during Kurst the Worst and Randall's ballet performance.
- This episode is similar to the Rocko's Modern Life episode, "The Lounge Singer", where Rocko finds out that his other best friend, Filburt, is a talented lounge singer.
- The scene where Mikey sings "Ave Maria" is similar to the scene from The Shawshank Redemption.
- T.J. Detweiler - Ross Malinger
- Vince LaSalle - Rickey D'Shon Collins
- Ashley Spinelli - Pamela Segall-Adlon
- Gretchen Grundler - Ashley Johnson
- Mikey Blumberg - (Speaking) Jason Davis
- Mikey Blumberg (Singing) - Robert Goulet
- Gus Griswald - Courtland Mead
- Miss Finster - April Winchell
- Principal Prickly - Dabney Coleman
- King Bob - Toran Caudell
- Miss Salamone - Glenne Headly
- Brandon - Michael Shulman
- Antonio - Jess Harnell
- Kid #1/Kid #2/Kid #4 - Ryan O'Donohue
- Kid #3 - Anndi McAfee
- Recess Gag Reel: 3:21-3:24